Last Updated on
The word Permaculture refers to “permanent agriculture” and “Permanent Culture”. This is a form of agriculture that focuses on the natural methods of agriculture and the proper maintenance of the ecological system.
This is a process of agriculture that is productive and can withstand the climatic changes that occur. This is sustainable and healthier for the environment. This agriculture process is more efficient than a regular farm. This is helpful is more production with the usage of lesser resources and lesser maintenance.
Why use Permaculture?
There are a variety of uses of this farming. There are several medicinal crops as well as food crops, habitats of wildlife provided along with a private and relaxing environment. These places are commonly used for meditating as well as for exercising too. The flowers are not grown for just food or medicinal purposes but also bouquets and crafts.
Methods of Permaculture Garden
These gardens are self-sustainable. The most common methods of this process are-
Companion Planting and Edible gardening
Herbs, vegetables, flowers are very commonly grown together. A wide variety of plants are common all around the year.
Vertical Garden farming and raised beds
The sizes of these gardens are comparatively smaller than conventional farms. The raised beds increase the farm spaces and are filled with assortments of plants. Vertical gardening usage is a tedious process.
Many ways could be used to create a keyhole garden. Perennial plants prefer the raised beds. This increases the productivity of the land. This not only looks beautiful but is effectively productive. A keyhole garden can be constructed in several distinct ways.
This is another option that is best for the annual plantations. Instead of soil tiling, a barrier is placed over the area. The wall may be cardboard or a wet newspaper. This will breakdown over time and hence will help make soil enriched.
Composting and Soil
Soil is a crucial component in a permaculture garden. Worms also play a vital role in the composition of this garden. Worms help keep the soil healthy and loose.
There are numerous benefits which are offered by the Permaculture. Few of the benefits are given below:
- Reduction in wastage- In this system, everything is utilized. This is the reason why this type of agriculture is sustainable. Even the by-products of the garden are useful in some or the other way.
- Saving the water- This makes the garden more cost-efficient and more effective. This garden can utilize rainwater as well as wastewater.
- Feasibility- These types of gardens are economically feasible. Less maintenance is required by the yard.
- These gardens require less maintenance.
- This garden is capable of taking care of its own.
- Reduced Costs- This result in reduced cost as the fertilizers, manures used by the garden are done by composting the wastes.
- Chemical Resistance- The mulch is required for farming and gardening. This helps reduce harmful chemical usage.
- Less Pollution- This is a natural method of farming. The zone where this Permaculture has been practised is most of the time pollution-free.
- Development of community values- The values are developed automatically with the adoption of this process.
- Diversity and self-reliance- A diverse variety of crops could be grown in a single piece of land. This method brings a sense of self-reliance, and the person can produce according to his/ her needs.
- Promotes Green Living- This uses the natural fertilizers, organic pesticides and the water are also used from freshwater reserves.
- An improved condition of Environment- This helps the attainment of sustainable and sufficient benefits to the environment. The production can be done with harmonious integration with the situation.
This system can be installed in the methods which are already functioning. This can be practised in the area which has sufficient constituents of the ecological system. This is a system which takes us back to the traditional farming methods, constituting the features of organic farming, keeping in mind the function of sustainable development, agroforestry, and the used ecology. This farming plays a vital role in saving the environment from all the critical pollution problems.